Phuket Surfing Contest 2007
on 31 August - 2 September 2007
Karon Municipality , TAT Phuket , Sport Ministry Phuket ,Kata-Karon Hotel's Business Association , KATA-KARON SURFING CLUB
Objectives of the Contest
- publicities on tourism for Kata-Karon Beaches and in Phuket Province, introduction to surfers specially during the months of August and September which is the end of current season and the beginning of the new tourist season.
- to promote and support tourists who love the challenge of board surfing
- to promote and support youth and general public to have interest in sports and physical exercises under the Government’s policy with the stress of keeping youth away from drugs
- to support water sports that are not destructive to the environment
- to allow surfers to modify use of surf board in rescue of tourists at sea
This year the organisers expect at least 120 competitors, most of them visitors who head for Phuket in the low tourist season just to surf. Last year, in addition to local surfers, the competition attracted about 80 participants from the UK, the USA, Japan, Australia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and elsewhere.
Classes and PrizesThere are five classes as follows (with prizes in brackets):
• Long board open (8,000, 6,000, 4,000 and 2,000 baht);
• Short board open (8,000, 6,000, 4,000 and 2,000 baht);
• Grommet (4,000, 3,000, 2,000 and 1,000 baht);
• Girls (4,000, 3,000, 2,000 and 1,000 baht);
• Body board (4,000, 3,000, 2,000 and 1,000 baht).
• In addition, the top five competitors in each class will receive trophies.
Date, time & venue for enrolment : Friday 31st August 2007 from 09:00 hours onward at Kata Beach
Date, time & venue for Contest : from 31st August to 2nd September 2007, 08:00-16:00 hours at Kata Beach (contest for individual categories)
1. At least 120 contestants from over 10 countries to participate, most of which will be tourists who visit with the purpose of surfing in particular such as tourists from Japan, England, United States, France, South Africa, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Australia, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.
2. Tourists becoming interested in physical exercise, especially in board surfing
3. Surfers may be able to provide assistance to tourists upon mishap at sea
source Reference : phuketsurfingcontest